Currently, in Ontario, online casino gambling is legal, and all eyes are now on the province. Ontario will be among the busiest online casino markets in North America.
As of April 4, many gambling sites, including BetRivers, have already entered the market.
While a good deal of online gambling sites debuted on the very first day, more will undoubtedly follow suit.
This guide will provide you with the key things you need to know about Ontario casinos.
How is an Ontario online casino regulated?
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) controls gambling in the province.
However, when it was evident that online gambling would be legal in Ontario, the AGCO decided to create a subsidiary body, iGaming Ontario (IGO).
IGO has the responsibility of issuing operating licences to suppliers and operators, as well as regulating the new market.
Even before they legalized the new market, IGO had given out many operating licences, with several top brands permitted to operate in Ontario.
BetRivers, TheScore, BetMGM, FanDuel, and PointsBet have all received licences to offer virtual gambling in the province.
Also, game developers such as Play’n Go and Inspired Entertainment have been permitted to partner with licensed operators.
Requirements to play at online casinos in Ontario
To play online casino games in Ontario, you must be at least 19 years old.
Keep in mind that legal Ontario online gambling sites will confirm your identity and age as the regulator requires.
Also, you must be within the province borders to legally play online casinos.
What the best Ontario online casinos offer
How do you know which is the best and most reputable Ontario casino to wager with when many gambling sites enter the market?
Below are the factors you should consider before settling with any operator.
- Bonuses and promotions: Generous welcome bonuses that add value to the betting experience.
- Security and fairness: The best Ontario online gambling sites employ state-of-the-art security measures. This ensures that bettors are protected from data breaches.
- Game selection: Ontario online gambling sites with good reputations know about the varying game needs of their customers. Hence, they offer a wide selection of games to meet different tastes. An online casino should have a substantial table games library as well as live dealer options and slots.
- Banking options: Casino sites in Ontario offer extensive deposit and withdrawal options. Carefully check if your preferred method is available before registering with an online gambling site.
- Customer support: Top-rated Ontario gambling sites offer players customer support in many ways. These include telephone, email support, and 24-hour live chat.
Games available at Ontario online casinos
Like many other online casinos, you will find a wide variety of games on Ontario gambling sites. Below are some games that you’ll find in Ontario online casinos.
Online slot machines are by far the most popular option among players, and for an obvious reason.
They’re easy to play, and they also contribute a lot to bonus wagering requirements.
On many online casino sites, you will see that the number of slot games outnumbers all other game types put together.
The good news is that Ontario players can now spin digital reels, as slots are part of the games Ontario gambling sites offer.
Ontario online casinos have an extensive selection of different table games.
A few table games you should expect when you gamble at any online casino in Ontario include keno, blackjack, and roulette.
The preference for live casino games is rooted in the very fact that they offer the experience of being in a land-based casino without having to leave your home.
The good news is that Live dealers are available on several Ontario online gambling sites.
Most players enjoy a tour to the poker table when they go to the brick-and-mortar casino.
The same thing applies to those who wager at online gambling sites in Ontario.
Poker games can be played in several forms and can be present in a video format.
Also, you will have the opportunity to play and enjoy live dealer versions in the leading Ontario online casinos.
Gambling responsibly in Ontario
For many people, gambling is an enjoyable, relaxing, and harmless pastime.
While for a few others, it presents an addiction risk, which can cause financial, personal, or even family issues.
Many Ontario online gambling sites prioritize responsible gambling. At these sites, you will find comprehensive information on how to manage your gambling habit.
There will also be links to reliable gambling experts who give advice and support to people with gambling issues.
The Ontario responsible gambling experts include:
- iGaming Ontario, the body in control of the online casino industry in the province, provides responsible gambling advice.
- CAMH (Center for Addiction and Mental Health) offers a problem gambling site with loads of practical support and self-help materials.
- The RGC (Responsible Gambling Council) has been in this area for several years, so they are experts in the responsible gambling field.
Ontario casino FAQ
Are online casinos legal in Ontario?
Yes, online casinos are legal in Ontario. Canada made key changes to its gambling laws in the summer of 2021.
The principal effect of the changes was to create a licensed and legal gambling market where private companies could offer sports betting and casino play.
Ontario was among the first provinces to seize the opportunity presented by the change in the gambling law and legalized online gambling on April 4, 2022.
What is Ontario’s online casino legal gambling age?
To play online casino games in Ontario, you must be at least 19 years of age.
However, if you’re 18, you can place sports bets at retail shops or play the provincial lottery.
Can I play free games at Ontario online casinos?
Yes, you can. Many online gambling sites give the opportunity to play slots and other games in free play mode.
This is a fantastic way for them to showcase their popular game selections.
However, it is also a great way to learn how to play a particular game for free without risking your own money.